Monday, October 27, 2008

Sober Thoughts

Surprisingly, I have not dropped off the face of the earth but rather have been very busy! : )
This was my first year to can salsa, jelly and catsup! They turned out well, so I hope to do more of the same next year.

Lately the Lord has been helping me to examine myself, to see if I am truly saved. (2 Corinthians 13:5)
I have been raised in a Christian home and by that I do not mean a typical "Christian" home. I know the Bible, I have been taught how to live and how to seek the Lord. I know these things, but are they just in my mind, do I just know them by knowledge? Or, do I know Him? For Real?

Oh, it is easy to fool other people into thinking that you are saved, many people do that, but I have never thought that I was deceiving people. This then brings the question, can a person deceive themselves? The answer is sobering. Look at what Jesus said: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21) This is a serious thing! Read the same chapter through verse 23, Many will say Lord, Lord we did this and that in your name but Jesus will say to them, "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." So, is this saying that many who think they are saved and think that God is working through them, are still under the wrath of an angry God? I think it is and the question that makes me tremble is; am I like that?

A person who is deceived does not know they are deceived. Think about Paul when he was persecuting Jesus' disciples. If you could have asked him what he thought about his standing with God, would he not have told you something like this: "God is very pleased with me, look at all the good he is doing through me. See how zealous I am for his Holy name." Paul was not looking for salvation on the road to Damascus! He thought that he was just fine. It was only the incredible mercy of God that revealed to him his need for the Saviour.

How many are in such a state? How many are going along in life, calling Him Lord, yet they do not know Him?

It is only the mercy of God... and that of an angry God, that will bring us to salvation. Can we say this is unfair? Read Romans 9, especially verses 14-29.

1 John gives some wonderful tests for the professing believer to examine themselves with, and it says, These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13)

So, I have been looking at these things and asking, do I have the fruit of the Spirit? Galatians 5:22-25, John 15:2 and vs. 16
*Have I repented of sin and continue to repent? Do I hate my sin and turn away from it, crying out to God to help me? Luke 5:32, Acts 11:18, Romans 2:4, 2 Corinthians 7:10, 2 Timothy 2:25, 2 Peter 3:9
*Do I love God and His people? Do I keep God's commandments? 1 John 5:1-3, ch. 2:3-6 1 John 3:18
*Where and what are my thoughts? 2 Corinthians 10:5
*Do I love the world? 1 John 2:15
*Who or what do I talk about most? James 1:26
*Do I walk in darkness? 1 John 1:5-7
*Do I have fellowship with God through His Spirit? 1 John 1:2
.......and more.

As all this has been going on, I have come to realize that I am not what I thought I was. I was deceiving myself in thinking higher of myself than I ought to think. (Romans 12:3) Now when I look at my life, it is with grief and sorrow for all the ways I have disobeyed my Lord. But...when seeing my depravity, I see that the fruit which does show forth cannot possibly come from myself, it must be Him.

"But, oh Lord, look how great my sin is."
"No, look at Me, see how much greater I am."

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. (Romans 5:6)
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. (Romans 5:8-9)
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. (John 15:4)
Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. (John 15:16)

As a side note of proclamation: It is snowing right now!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Hi, Leah!! Thanks for the comments on my blog - I was just enjoying reading your blog today and hearing your thoughts on salvation. Thanks for sharing what you did. We certainly do need to be examining ourselves and the Scriptures always!
We have been gone, yes, and also extremely busy the past couple of weeks but we sure do miss you and your family! Our new puppy, Jack is doing great and it's been great for teaching Aubrie responsibility. Can't wait for you to meet him and also to hold Christian for awhile! :)

Hope to talk to you soon -- you are like a sister to me.

Love Lesley

Leah said...

Thank you Lesley, it is great to hear from you!
I look forward to holding Chirstian again, he is such a dear, as are your girls as well.
It is neat what you said about being like a sister, because I had a similar thought when commenting on your blog today. :)

Love in Christ,
Leah

 

Glorious Hope © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner