Friday, May 29, 2009

Busy time of Year!

We are having a very busy time right now as planting season swings into full gear. This is also one of the most beautiful times of the year, so I wanted to share some pictures...

This is a part of our yard with three of our yet-to-be-planted garden beds. The yellow flowers are dandelions. I just love dandelions! Doesn't everyone?

This is another part of our yard


Ornamental Crab Apple Blossoms


Crab Apple Blossoms




My Mom weeding the needy strawberry patch


Michael and I were hired a couple of days this week to "pick rocks" from two separate fields. Here Michael drives the tractor a short way, hops down and we scour the ground looking for rocks that would be hazardous for haying equipment. Every year the deep frosts squeeze up more rocks, and the fields must be cleaned again.

My Dad went into our little wooded area to cut posts for a fence we are putting up around the gardens. Why do we need a fence? Because of deer? rabbits? cows? No, because of our chickens! Those pesky fowls lay wonderful eggs and we like them to free range, but they love to destroy gardens!

Here is my Grandma at a historical mansion in Duluth called Glensheen. She and Michael visited on the day they were giving free tours. We love being cheap! :)



Every year we place a half orange on this wire hanging in front of our picture window and every year the Baltimore Orioles come to feed. This year we have two nesting pairs on, or near our property. They drink the juice out of the orange, then use the fibers to build their nests which are hanging, woven baskets.



Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
(Isaiah 40:28-31)

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Wow, Leah, what beautiful pictures!!! I just love the blossoms on those crab apple trees and I always drive slowly to admire them when I'm out and about. :)

It looks like you have all been very busy lately! Have you started planting tomatoes yet?

Sam made a small garden for me by the house and then our other garden behind the garage has been cut in half and I hope to plant some things there too where there is lots of sun. It just feels like it's been too cold to plant and I hope I still have time to get some veggies planted! :)

Praise God for the baby saved this week! It always fills Sam and me with joy when we hear about a baby being spared. Thank you, Lord!

Sam and I have signed up for the Walk for Life event. Hopefully we'll see you there? I will have to find someone to watch our kids for a few hours that day but if not, then at least one of us will go.

It has been way too long since we've all been together! Maybe we could come out and visit you all some evening soon. Have a wonderful week, Leah! Oh and please tell your mother hello and thank her for her comments on my blog. I always love to hear from you both! :)

Leah said...

Thank you Lesley, it is good to hear from you! I actually hope to plant tomatoes this evening. We would love to have you all come over! I have your plants ready, maybe you can get them when you come (that will hopefully guarantee that you come soon!:)
Yes, we were very excited about the baby save, I hope to write a post about it, but have to find the time. Even now I have to run back to the garden to finish planting onions.....
Love in Christ,
Leah

(Yes, Lord willing we will be at the Wald for Life)! :)

 

Glorious Hope © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner