Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A hairbreadth away from Glory?

Yesterday morning my Mom and I, were at the Building For Women in Duluth MN, to plead for the lives of unborn babies (sidewalk counsel) with Jim Tuttle of Pro-Life Ministries of Duluth. I saw a lady walking toward the building, who I figured must be a client. Before I could talk to her or approach her with literature, she snapped open a knife. She waved the point at me saying, "Don't come near me!" I stayed where I was and said, "Please don't kill your baby, fear God." She walked past into the courtyard, so I moved to the fence corner to continue counseling. She then turned around, came up to me and held the point of the knife at my throat! The thought flashed through my mind, "What if she stabs me?" and then, "That's ok." God gave me great peace as I looked into her angry eyes and said, "Fear God. You need to fear God Ma'am." She turned around, and began to walk through the court yard again. My Mom, Sarah, who was standing at the other end of the fence, called out to her, "We love you, and care about you, don't kill your baby." The women turned and waved the knife at her yelling, "I'm certified crazy, that's why I'm doing this!" She then went into the building.

Jim Tuttle called the police and they arrived very quickly, seven squad cars strong. Several went immediately into the building, and shortly came out with the women in handcuffs, she was crying. They interviewed us, had us write reports, and told us that this is a felony offence. My Mom told two of the officers that we feel very sad for the women who did this, and we will be praying for her. One of the officers looked shocked at that.

A local TV newsman showed up and interviewed us. We were able to give glory to God for His protection and testify that God says, "You shall not murder." I explained that we are living in a culture of death, and if they believe it is fine to kill babies in the womb, what would be the difference killing someone out of the womb? He wanted to know if this would change my mind about coming out to talk to the abortion clients. I said "No, not at all! I am excited that God protected me." My Mom told him that we care about the women who did this, forgive her, and want her to know that if she came to Jesus Christ and was saved, God would completely change her.

God allowed this all to happen for a reason, and I greatly desire that His name be glorified through this incident. Our God is worthy to be praised! Psalm 91 was going through my head... "He that dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." (Psalms 91:1-2) Praise God for His mercy, not only on me for protection, but also in the fact that this lady still has her baby!

As the police were leaving, a young women ran into the building very quickly. After a few minutes she came out onto the sidewalk, and seemed to be waiting for someone. My Mom talked to her, and she turned out to be the friend of the women who had just been arrested. Not knowing what had just happened, she had come to support her friend, but was told that her friend had left the building quickly. They didn't even tell her why or in what state she had left! So we were able to minister to this women, her name is, Melissa and her friend, who had been arrested is Michelle. My Mom shared the gospel with her, gave her a Bible, and asked if we could visit Michelle in jail. She agreed that it might be possible.

Please pray for these two women. I do forgive Michelle, and pray that she will be saved, she needs Jesus. Only God knows what He will do with this situation, we pray that He will be glorified!


EDITED to add:

Here are some news articles covering the incident:

LifeSiteNews: http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/nov/09112603.html

WorldNetDaily: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=117119

LifeNews: http://www.lifenews.com/state4602.html

NorthlandNews: http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/news/local/72989782.html

5 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, Leah - what an experience! I'm so glad you were able to bring glory to God and testify about His protection to so many people!...AND I'm glad you're alive! I hope you get to visit Michelle. :) Please let us know if you do. :)

Rachel S. said...

Praise God for His precious protection over you. I am joining you in prayer for that young woman.

Leah said...

Thank you sisters! Please do pray for me as there are news places calling for interviews. I desire that God would speak through me to glorify His name. I do not like the attention, but if this is how God chooses to use me at this time, than may it be all for His glory.

Unknown said...

Praying for you as you have the news interviews. What a testimony you can give of God's protection! Betsy

Leah said...

Thank you Betsy!

 

Glorious Hope © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner