Thursday, February 5, 2009

Learning to Wait on God for Marriage


As a young lady seeking to serve my Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord has shown me the joy and blessing of Biblical Woman-hood. Ever since I was very young, I have prayed for the man God would some day bring into my life for marriage and I prayed and still do, that we will have as many children as God will give us - twelve or more has been the number I put before Him. Growing up into a young lady I have struggled, as I am sure we all do, with the concept of waiting. What if he never comes, what will I do then? What if he comes when I am older, will my life have been wasted? Should I go to college and get a job while I wait? All these questions and more have swarmed through my head.
From what I have read from other godly young ladies, these are common to our kind. But what is the answer? What should we do as we wait? I know that this topic has been covered many times before, but I would like to share some of the things God has taught me.

First of all let me make mention that there are many godly woman out there who have gone to collage and others who feel they are led to go, or their fathers want them to go. Please know that I am not saying that is wrong. God leads each person differently to best get glory for Himself through their life. Each of us stands before God for what we do and do not do, we are the Lord's. With that said, I do believe that the model of woman in the Bible is that woman stay at home, as helpers for their parents and later helpmeets to their husbands. (Titus 2:5) (Gen. 3:16) etc.

"Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt. 6:33

These years of our lives are so precious! We have time right now to seek the Lord, to get to know our Savior and to seek to please Him. (1 Cor. 7:34)
We can learn to abide in Him, living with Christ daily. (John 15: )
We can learn to be a servant of Jesus. (Matt. 10:43-44)
At this time in our lives, our hearts are solely the Lord's. There is no competition for our love and devotion. We are His and He is ours. Here we learn to delight in His presence and to listen to His voice. We are fulfilled in Jesus and He is our life. No one is taking our attention away from our Redeemer, we are at His service to do as He pleases. This is a joyful place to be!

As young ladies at home under our Father's roof, we can be corner pillars polished like a palace! (Psa. 144:12) We are helpers to our Father and Mother, servants for the Lord. What a blessing it is to be quietly working for our family, our worth and work unseen by the world. Working only for the eyes of the One in whom we delight. No wonder the world scoffs at us! No wonder they ridicule and try to make us look stupid, lazy and weak. They cannot see what God sees! They cannot see the jewel He is creating in us, the rose that is forming beneath the surface! Sisters, we are God's and our work is for His eyes! Give no head to the world. They scoffed at Jesus, they called his life and death a waste and we are not greater than our Lord. (John 15:20)

As daughters keeping at home, we are giving glory to God. We are proclaiming by our actions that His way is best, that He is worthy to have our lives and that we can entrust Him with our very breath, it is not a waste when spent in His service. We can be confident that no matter how menial the task, if it is "as unto the Lord", it is no waste! (Col. 3:23-24)

"And he (Jesus) said unto them, 'Go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.'" Mark 16:15

Sisters, we can obey this command! Ask God to prepare you to give His glorious Gospel of peace. (Eph. 6: ) He is the One who can make you ready. Draw near to Him, seek His face, read His word and learn to love His gospel! Pray for the people that He will bring your way and ask for opportunities to share the gospel with them and pray for boldness. If I may add here, perhaps an often overlooked opportunity is your brothers and sisters? They are your first mission field and even the very smallest can be taught the Bible and through play many good things can be instilled in their small minds. We need to ask God to open our eyes to the opportunities we are missing. Finally trust that God is the one who will do the changing of hearts and minds, we are only to obey.

There are so many practical things we can do as daughters at home, one thing that has worked out for me to do, to help my family, is to grow much of the food we eat. For others it may be something different, seek God for the answer and ask your parents what you can do that would be the most helpful to them.

"What? know you not that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have of God, and you are not your own? For you are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in you spirit, which are God's." 1 Cor. 6:19-20

"So likewise you, when you shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." Luke 17:10

Perhaps all this sounds simple, to my ears it does, but I think it ought to be simple. Pray, pray and pray for wisdom, we are bombarded on every side by the world. To them, life is complicated, they are trying to make sense of their lives outside of Christ. For us, our lives make sense and we have a very simple goal, to glorify God.


Here is a poem which has helped me greatly with the concept of waiting.

Desperately, helplessly, longingly I cried.
Quietly, patiently, lovingly, God replied.
I pled and I wept for a clue to my fate.
And the Master so gently said, "Child, you must wait."
"WAIT? You say, 'wait,'" my indignant reply.
"Lord I need answers, I need to know why!
By faith I have asked and I'm claiming your word.
My future and all to which I relate
Hangs in a balance and YOU tell me to 'WAIT?'
I'm needing a 'yes', a go-ahead sign,
Or even a 'no', to which I resign.
And Lord, you promised that if we believe,
We need to ask and we shall receive.
And Lord, I've been asking! I need a reply!"

Then quietly, softly I learned of my fate,
As the Master replied once again, "You must wait."

So I slumped in my chair defeated and taunt
And grumbled to God, "So I'm waiting...for what?"

He seemed then to kneel, and His eyes wept with mine,
And He tenderly said, "I could give you a sign,
I could shake the heavens and darken the sun,
I could raise the dead, cause mountains to run.
All you seek I could give, and pleased you would be.
You would have what you want, but you wouldn't Know Me.

You'd not know the depth of My love for each saint;
You'd not know the power I give to the faint;
You'd not learn to trust Me, just knowing I'm there.
You'd not know the joy of resting in Me
When darkness and silence were all you could see.
You'd never experience the fullness of love,
As the peace of My Spirit descends like a dove.

You'd know that I give and save (for a start)
But you'd not know the depth of the beat of My heart.
The glow of My comfort late in the night,
The faith that I give when you walk without sight.
The depth that's beyond getting just what you ask,
Of an infinite God, who makes what you have LAST.
You'd never know, should your pain quickly flee,
What it means that, 'My grace is sufficient for thee.'
Yes, you dreams for that loved one overnight would come true,
But oh, the loss! If I lost what I'm doing in You!

So, be silent, My child, and in time you will see
That the greatest of gifts is to get to know ME.
And though oft, My answer seems terribly late,
My most precious answer of all is still, 'WAIT'."

--Author Unknown


Let us abide in and delight in Christ!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... I got this poem translated in my language a couple days ago...

sarah said...

God bless you dear Leah!

You are such a delight to be around and I love being your Momma!Praise God for the work He has done and is still doing in your life!

Thank you for all you do for our family.

Love you bunches,
Momma

Leah said...

Neat Natasa! What is your language?

Leah said...

Thank you Momma, I praise God for you!

I love you!
leah

 

Glorious Hope © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner